[Threshold] Monster Girl Dreams

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Sep 24, 2017
banner1 copy.png

Game downloads!

Windows/Linux: Download
Mac: Download

This is the alpha version for a text based battle fuck rpg that I'm working on in Ren'py.

In Monster Girl Dreams you play as a male adventurer, freshly graduated from the adventuring school, Adventum!

Adventure, Loot, and don't get fucked into submission!

Also defeat the demon queen. Maybe.

The content is mostly vanilla. Currently.
M/F, femdom, and monster girls are main themes.

I have the intent to allow the game to be relatively easy to mod. Which will allow people to make their own enemies, skills and items. Basically everything. Including adding images to enemies and scenes.
Good luck!

Feedback on what people think of its current state would be appreciated.
And please let me know if you find bugs.
Or typos. Which I'm sure there is.

v19 change log
v19 change log

Content
-Temple Dungeon Content
-One last minor boss before the final boss, including numerous sex and dialogue scenes for them.
-The final boss of the temple dungeon is now able to be fought! And the dungeon can now be completed! (Hard mode of the fight might be too hard, so let me know!)
-Kotone’s side quest can now be completed. But there may be some inconsistencies in her content I missed, as well as more fluffy content that needs to be added still.

-The kunoichi on the mountain now has new tricks up her skin-tight sleeves, one of which requires your character to have a foot fetish. She also has two new loss scenes.
-Some tweaks to the oni brothel event to have better continuity.

Art
-The imp now has art by houpo!
-Elly now has art by Jiffic!

Modding
-Counter attack skills can now properly function for monsters. Check KunoichiCombatEvents.json for an example.
-Added CallMonsterAttack combat function for in case a counter attack set up fails. Can also be used for other means, such as repeated attacks in a row via event if you want them to be different random attacks.
-Added SetSkipMonsterAttack combat function, which sets the focused monster’s attacks to be skipped until they are resumed.
-SetResumeMonsterAttack is called to resume the focused monsters attacks.
-Added SaveNextLine function, used for displaying the next line in a menu if the way to that menu is complex, aka temple random encounters.
-Added ChoiceToDisplayPlayer and ChoiceToDisplayMonster Sets the choice to display for the player or monster slot base on an existing choice slot’s text, primarily used for nick names or changing a monster name to something else, eg genric species to actual name. Requires use of a text function, and is not reset until used again, so be sure to call it at the start of your event.
- Added ChoiceToDisplayPlayerFromOtherEvent and ChoiceToDisplayMonsterFromOtherEvent – same as above but checks a different event.
-Added text functions {displayPlayerChoice} and {displayMonsterChoice} for use with the prior event functions related to them.
-SetChoiceToPlayerName and SetChoiceToPlayerNameFromOtherEvent – For the above as well, set the selected choice to the player’s name. In case you want to add romantic/pet name options for events. There is also “SetChoiceTo PlayerName” to have it set to the players name with a space at the start for specific instances.
-Added SetFlexibleSpeaker and FlexibleSpeaks, First one can be set for any speaker for the event, and the second one uses the set speaker, is used for niche cases where you want to change the speaker, but not the entire dang scene for it.
-Added "ClearFightForVictory", and "EndCombat" functions to easily clear and end a combat and give proper rewards for it.
-Rehauled how the “Menu” function tracks the requirements so they can be used in any order before the menu option.
-HideOptionOnRequirementFail can now be called before a menu option with a requirement to make it not display it’s requirements.
-RequiresMinimumProgress – RequiresMinimumProgressFromEvent - RequiresChoice -RequiresChoiceFromEvent – have all been added to the menu requirements options. No more need for branching scenes to have different options via these! They never display an option requirement if the player doesn’t meet them, so a pre-emptive HideOptionOnRequirementFail is not required.
-IfMonsterSpiritGone – Combat function to go to a scene if the focused monster is out of spirit.
-RefreshMonster – Combat function to completely heal a monster and remove all status effects.
-ChangeMonsterLevel – Changes the focused monster’s level.
-ChangeMonsterErosDrop and ChangeMonsterExpDrop – Change the respective drop for the monster.
-Added the RemovePerk function! It removes perks!

Fixes
-Fixed an issue where NPCAdditions with no items or skills would grab one anyways.
-Fixed an issue where the player could use skills from the character menu infinitely even if they lacked the energy to do so.
-Temple room descriptions now display post combat.
-You can now use Deep kiss on someone making out with you while someone else is giving you a blowjob.
-An issue with the unbounded perk not ending restraints for the player should be fixed.
-Fixed items the player has equipped not updating correctly so you could theoretically get permanent negative or positive stats when items were updated/changed.
-The trance status effect can now properly stun the player more than one time.
-Mimic’s sub expression is now the correct size.
-Fixed a potential crash when super surrendering, and an issue where it could grab a monster from your last combat for the loss scene if you used it immediately.
-Fixed a numbering issue with the AddMonsterToEncounter function.
-Enemies no longer try to pose provocatively or be unsure what to do if restrained or stunned.
-Fixed an issue where the AI wouldn’t use stance starting skills in group combat if it wasn’t the first enemy to go.
-Fixed enemy end of round function calls getting the wrong monster in group encounters.
-The SkipPlayerAttack function now works for the entire players turn and not just for monster counters.
-Enemies should no longer respond to attacks from the player that have been interrupted.
-Enemies use trance related skills even if the player is at maximum trance.
-Perk choice on level up will no longer stick around the next time you get a perk. For real this time.
-DefeatMonster function no longer crashes the game if used in multi enemy fights.
-Calling a monster name for a team attack that doesn’t require the attacking monster to be in a stance but the other monster to be in one will now properly fetch the name.
-The lion’s pride equipment perk now has the correct description.

-WilliamTheShatner has finished editing Kotone’s hypnosis room content, the power trials, the glade event, and more!

Save Integrity: Good, probably. Make sure to load your old save in town!
Mod Integrity: Goodish. -Reminder to manually update your save in options while in town, if you want to use an old save when you add mods.

Game screens!
char creator.png
dungeon combat.png
mountain combat.png
perpetua.png

Dev Blog

Patreon

Discord

Wiki (WIP)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2008
Re: Monster Girl Dreams Alpha v4 (BFRPG)

Hmmm, not bad I'd say so far. I noticed an early bug of sorts, in the intro bit when Vivian gets interrupted, the other girl's dialogue isn't called up. It gets the like, EventFlag text or something instead.

Went and made a version of a character of mine in it though. He didn't last long. As it turns out, being weak to most things, with a sensitive cock, doesn't matter even if his Energy is high, hahaha.

Lurker_01

Demon Girl Master
Feb 16, 2012

Very nice base for a game.
Some things i found:
1. Can't buy any skill or items even through i do have the right stats and have enough eros. (buttons don't light up)
2. If you go to page 2 in Elena skill buy, you also move to page 2 in Elly skill buy so when you try to learn skills from Elly you get everything empty and nothing to buy
3. More that 1 enemy at the same time is quite impossible, especially if you have oral weakness and fighting against 2 elves.
4. Is impossible to run away if the enemy puts you in a stance each time after you break up. (Especially annoying when fighting against elves and even more if fighting against 2)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2014

I'm going to test this because it hits upon one of my kinks. If it is disappointing, I'm going to Liam Neeson you.

Don't make me Liam Neeson, sir.

Also, can you people start using goddamn tags? What's the point of campaigning for the search function to be repaired if none of you bother using the one thing that the function requires?

Briger

Grim Reaper
Apr 25, 2015

I'm going to test this because it hits upon one of my kinks. If it is disappointing, I'm going to Liam Neeson you.

Also, can you people start using goddamn tags? What's the point of campaigning for the search function to be repaired if none of you bother using the one thing that the function requires?
you mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcs-B7XjBGU

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Sep 24, 2017

Hmmm, not bad I'd say so far. I noticed an early bug of sorts, in the intro bit when Vivian gets interrupted, the other girl's dialogue isn't called up. It gets the like, EventFlag text or something instead.
I am super sad I missed that.

Very nice base for a game.
Some things i found:
1. Can't buy any skill or items even through i do have the right stats and have enough eros. (buttons don't light up)
2. If you go to page 2 in Elena skill buy, you also move to page 2 in Elly skill buy so when you try to learn skills from Elly you get everything empty and nothing to buy
3. More that 1 enemy at the same time is quite impossible, especially if you have oral weakness and fighting against 2 elves.
4. Is impossible to run away if the enemy puts you in a stance each time after you break up. (Especially annoying when fighting against elves and even more if fighting against 2)

Combat balance is something I still very much need to work on.
and I will.
I've updated the game to hot fix those issues, as well as some others I found.

Well I hope you like it.
I recommend you grab the fixed ver as turns out, there were some errors.
Possibly still are.
And I am sorry I didn't use the tags when I posted as I had no idea they even existed at the time.

Dec 6, 2008

I am super sad I missed that.
Happens to the best of us!
I admit, I'm a bit curious as to how this game would play if you could play as a heroine instead of a hero... but I wouldn't imagine that'd happen.

Feb 2, 2014

EXACTLY that, except with monstergirls. Oh, and on the topic of MGQ...

This game has a somewhat MGQ-esque feel to it. The hero "chosen" by the Goddess, a "demon queen", etc. It's hitting all the tropes, which is neat. Not a huge fan of the sex-fighting gimmick and kind of wish you didn't use it. That said, it's alright for what it is.

Good:

-Status effects.
-Story
-Concept

Bad:

-Very bare-bones.
-Lack of images can be a turn-off for some. Your short descriptions are okay, but rely too much on one's imagination.
-Going back to the first point, the fact that we have only one area and so few enemies (3 is not sufficient, and most devs who have art, etc at least 10 enemies, multiple areas, etc) makes this feel like a rush-job with no perspective on how to garner interest.
-Learning skills and buying/selling buttons don't work.

There are a few issues outside of the listed points I would like to address, as well. You've got a pre-emptive patreon link, which makes me think this was slapped together in an hour with the hope of capturing some of the magic that made Fenoxo big. Your issue is, Fen had more than 3 enemies, one area, and a shoddy excuse for a "main hub" to release to people. He also doesn't paywall content, although free players have to wait for content that paying players already have access to. CoC, Mutant Minx Meltdown, and other such text-based open-world games had a fair-sized chunk of content in their first alpha to entice players before money was brought into the discussion (if at all).

I like the concept (even if the style of combat isn't my cup of tea) and hope you'll continue to develop this game. Unfortunately, I'm also one of those people who, after seeing a bare-bones "proof of concept" and a patreon page, gets suspicious and decides it would be better to invest my time elsewhere.

Last edited:

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Sep 24, 2017

EXACTLY that, except with monstergirls. Oh, and on the topic of MGQ...

This game has a somewhat MGQ-esque feel to it. The hero "chosen" by the Goddess, a "demon queen", etc. It's hitting all the tropes, which is neat. Not a huge fan of the sex-fighting gimmick and kind of wish you didn't use it. That said, it's alright for what it is.

Good:

-Status effects.
-Story
-Concept

Bad:

-Very bare-bones.
-Lack of images can be a turn-off for some. Your short descriptions are okay, but rely too much on one's imagination.
-Going back to the first point, the fact that we have only one area and so few enemies (3 is not sufficient, and most devs who have art, etc at least 10 enemies, multiple areas, etc) makes this feel like a rush-job with no perspective on how to garner interest.
-Learning skills and buying/selling buttons don't work.

There are a few issues outside of the listed points I would like to address, as well. You've got a pre-emptive patreon link, which makes me think this was slapped together in an hour with the hope of capturing some of the magic that made Fenoxo big. Your issue is, Fen had more than 3 enemies, one area, and a shoddy excuse for a "main hub" to release to people. He also doesn't paywall content, although free players have to wait for content that paying players already have access to. CoC, Mutant Minx Meltdown, and other such text-based open-world games had a fair-sized chunk of content in their first alpha to entice players before money was brought into the discussion (if at all).

I like the concept (even if the style of combat isn't my cup of tea) and hope you'll continue to develop this game. Unfortunately, I'm also one of those people who, after seeing a bare-bones "proof of concept" and a patreon page, gets suspicious and decides it would be better to invest my time elsewhere.
Well the buying issues are now fixed, I am really sad that was in this update.
Damn pre-build change that I didn't check because I was sure it wouldn't break anything.

But you still make a lot of good points.

It is still very bare bones, retrospectively probably should've waited one or two more versions before making a patreon. Maybe even a few more than that.

For the hub town, I really, REALLY need to add onto that.

Technically there are 5 enemies. But your point still definitely stands.

Will definitely be looking into expanding the space I have to work with for character descriptions given the lack of character art.

Overall I have a ton of work to do.

Feb 2, 2014

Well the buying issues are now fixed, I am really sad that was in this update.
Damn pre-build change that I didn't check because I was sure it wouldn't break anything.

But you still make a lot of good points.

It is still very bare bones, retrospectively probably should've waited one or two more versions before making a patreon. Maybe even a few more than that.

For the hub town, I really, REALLY need to add onto that.

Technically there are 5 enemies. But your point still definitely stands.

Will definitely be looking into expanding the space I have to work with for character descriptions given the lack of character art.

Overall I have a ton of work to do.
I don't mean to come off as harsh, so I apologize if it sounded that way. I don't mind things about the hub town as much mostly because it's, well, just a hub. Buy and sell shit, maybe a few events happen, etc. It's probably the least on one's list of things to improve, so don't feel pressured to make it exciting or shit.

My main issues are lack of encounters and areas to explore. At least one dungeon to accompany the forest would show some dedication to continuing the project. Also, art isn't a primary focus for text-based games so long as scenes and such are sufficiently-detailed. Hell, for the time being, I would even suggest just grabbing some widely-available art from places like e621 and Gelbooru and uses them as placeholders while you build the game to a more "functional" state.

The patreon thing is definitely a red flag, and I can respect someone who recognizes that they might have been a bit quick in their rush to "cash-in", regardless of how innocent their intent. The dev I'm supporting did the same thing as you did with having little more than a proof of concept and a promise. The deciding factor (for me, anyways) was his dedication to the project and the style of content he produced. He's now a year in, re-working the models, and adding more each month. I would give it another year before we have a full game.

Point is, I like what you're offering, but wish you'd put a bit more into it before releasing an alpha. Text-based stuff is pretty common nowadays, although good text-based content is sparse. I checked your patreon page and saw that your goals are realistic and you plan to dedicate a questionable amount of time to this project. Biggest hurdle for any developer is meeting deadlines and producing worthwhile content at the same time. Have praise-worthy goals, but don't be unrealistic. Writing isn't as easy as some people think, and it's not something you're always going to feel the motivation to do.

Dec 6, 2008

There is definitely some MGQ influences/references in this though. The Angry Lizard Girl event might feel like a certain someone you may know and love from MGQ...

Something I've thought of from playing some more, but shouldn't there be some kind of dialogue/reaction from the opponent if the hero cums?

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Sep 24, 2017

So am I unable to edit the threads name or its tags after I have created it?
Or am I just unable to figure out how.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, so I apologize if it sounded that way. I don't mind things about the hub town as much mostly because it's, well, just a hub. Buy and sell shit, maybe a few events happen, etc. It's probably the least on one's list of things to improve, so don't feel pressured to make it exciting or shit.

My main issues are lack of encounters and areas to explore. At least one dungeon to accompany the forest would show some dedication to continuing the project. Also, art isn't a primary focus for text-based games so long as scenes and such are sufficiently-detailed. Hell, for the time being, I would even suggest just grabbing some widely-available art from places like e621 and Gelbooru and uses them as placeholders while you build the game to a more "functional" state.

The patreon thing is definitely a red flag, and I can respect someone who recognizes that they might have been a bit quick in their rush to "cash-in", regardless of how innocent their intent. The dev I'm supporting did the same thing as you did with having little more than a proof of concept and a promise. The deciding factor (for me, anyways) was his dedication to the project and the style of content he produced. He's now a year in, re-working the models, and adding more each month. I would give it another year before we have a full game.

Point is, I like what you're offering, but wish you'd put a bit more into it before releasing an alpha. Text-based stuff is pretty common nowadays, although good text-based content is sparse. I checked your patreon page and saw that your goals are realistic and you plan to dedicate a questionable amount of time to this project. Biggest hurdle for any developer is meeting deadlines and producing worthwhile content at the same time. Have praise-worthy goals, but don't be unrealistic. Writing isn't as easy as some people think, and it's not something you're always going to feel the motivation to do.
Well my personal problem with the hub is that the NPC characters in it are kinda non-existent, I mostly just want to expand on them for the hub, at the very least give them proper introductions.
And let the player work at Vivian's Inn/Brothel.

Content like more enemies, quests, events and the first dungeon should probably be what I should be focusing on for a bit. Probably just content period.

Also thank you very much for your feedback.

There is definitely some MGQ influences/references in this though. The Angry Lizard Girl event might feel like a certain someone you may know and love from MGQ...

Something I've thought of from playing some more, but shouldn't there be some kind of dialogue/reaction from the opponent if the hero cums?
I do plan on adding more to monster dialogues, so it's definitely something I'll work on in the future, as well as allowing enemies to react to certain attacks used on them.

Feb 2, 2014

Don't know about the tagging issue, but pretty sure you have to ask a moderator to edit the thread name. Your account doesn't have too many posts to it, either, so you'll run into issues posting links.

super_slicer

Tentacle God
Nov 17, 2010

Yes, edit your first post in advanced mode to change the title iirc. Hit edit on the post in question and in the bottom right corner of the text box click the Go Advanced button.

As for tags, scroll down to the bottom of the window while viewing the thread, there should be a box labeled tags, and click the edit tags button.

Dec 6, 2008

I think you need more posts.

I do plan on adding more to monster dialogues, so it's definitely something I'll work on in the future, as well as allowing enemies to react to certain attacks used on them.
That's good to hear!
I imagine this is a longshot, but any chance of playing as a heroine in this, or will it strictly be playing as the hero?

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Nov 10, 2010

Seems great so far, i love the approach with the random events, has a combat system somewhat similar to Succubus Rhapsodia where you get put into different states with various holds and weaknesses.

I'd really love to see more traps like the Inn.

Great job so far, keep it up.

Jun 8, 2015

This looks really interesting. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this!

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Sep 24, 2017

Yes, edit your first post in advanced mode to change the title iirc. Hit edit on the post in question and in the bottom right corner of the text box click the Go Advanced button.

As for tags, scroll down to the bottom of the window while viewing the thread, there should be a box labeled tags, and click the edit tags button.
Thank you!

That's good to hear!
I imagine this is a longshot, but any chance of playing as a heroine in this, or will it strictly be playing as the hero?
Short answer: Male protag only.

Long answer: To be honest it isn't completely outside the realm of possibility for me to add in a female protag. But a female protag would basically need her own story, own versions of events and/or new events, and a bunch of changes to the combat system. It would basically double the amount of work I'd need to do, if not more. So for now, and probably a long time, I am going to stay focused on improving and expanding on what there is now rather than spread myself thin.

Seems great so far, i love the approach with the random events, has a combat system somewhat similar to Succubus Rhapsodia where you get put into different states with various holds and weaknesses.

I'd really love to see more traps like the Inn.

Great job so far, keep it up.
I'm glad you like it!

On a sort of related note, I'm considering fusing events and traps in to a single events category given they are very interchangeable.

Cryswar

Demon Girl
Apr 14, 2011

Some initial feedback;

-I like the setup. It's pretty amusing and creative and a fun plot twist. Seeing the MC and especially lizard girl's ways of dealing with it is really fun.

-Might just be I can't find it yet, but it doesn't seem like there's much interaction with the Blowjob status. Making Out you can (in theory) use for deep kiss, Sex has Thrust and Pound, but BJ doesn't have anything like a throatfuck, grabbing dem elfin ears and trying to take control, etc. Speaking of making out...

-Deep Kiss hasn't actually worked for me yet, even when I'm in the Making Out status (not exactly hard with elves...) I always get the message it failed.

-Also on the note of elves, considering how well they tag team you - one just hoovers your dick and the other hoovers your lungs - it's a bit of a letdown that when you lose, one of them stops existing while the other fucks you. Seems like a prime opportunity for a messy threesome.

-Have I mentioned I like the elves a lot?

-Alraunes are great too, especially their loss/surrender 'endings'

-Two-enemy battles are REALLY fun for the H possibility, but very non interactive after a point. With one elf glued to your dick and one facehugger, most of your actions are sealed, you can't really interact with either of them with most of your moves. I actually like the idea a lot, just feels like I should get some new options there since they're both latched onto me and not going anywhere. Throatfuck, double grope, give in to the thiccness, whatever.

-I like the Inn mini plotline and the choice you can make on the second time around, but it doesn't seem to effect much, you still get drained/drugged the same. That section seems like it has a lot of potential though and the innkeeper is interesting.

-There's very little fanfare for cumming in battle. No one reacts, you just get stunned for a turn and enemies get to pile on some free lust, and then everything continues as normal. I'm not saying there should be major out of battle losses to it (kinda annoying when you lose permanent stats for trying to enjoy the content in a h game) but larger consequences in battle, like setting the enemy you came on in a lust frenzy or something, could be more interesting to play against!

-Not sure if this is a bug or I'm just unlucky, but I've NEVER seen the second elf use Blowjob Assist and neither of them uses Magical Binding

-I can't seem to get images to work when customizing stuff, are there any special rules for that? Either nothing shows up at all or it gets an error saying it can't find the image whether I give the full location, including file type, or just move it into the images folder and use "name.png" still gives the error.

-4+ monsters in one location breaks the scroll bar
------

Overall it seems like a great start to a game that I can see myself enjoying enormously - the framework you have down now is fantastic! Writing is solid too, which is the part where these games make or break. Definitely looking forward to seeing more. Spent a few hours today messing with the modding and adding a few new enemies to mess around with, those damn commas keep getting me! haha

Last edited: